Pages

Thursday 25 July 2013

Irish Accents Part 2

Neutral accents are accents that avoid mother/native tongue influences. The
argument that neutral accents do not exist is an observation that stems from the
localization of oneself.



I, being raised in Malaysia, have a typical Malaysian-ized accent. But by God’s grace
I can switch between a Malaysian accent to an accent that many people outside
\Malaysia would understand. Growing up, the way in which I spoke did not bother
me. In fact I thought that trying to put on an accent was just going to make me look
cocky and make me stand out like a sore thumb.
But now having grown up and grown wiser,I have come to the realisation that I AM

Irish. My father is Irish, I was born in Ireland, so there really isn’t an excuse good enough to stop me from speaking with an Irish accent. In fact due to my fair skin, I
stick out like a sore thumb even more when I speak with my Malaysian accent!!!

So although I can't yet turn on the Irish accent at the drop of a hat, I now
understand that speaking well and speaking clearly irregardless of a particular
accent is what it all boils down to. Now my job is to ensure that my younger siblings
are thought this important lesson from the start :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment